These mouth watering tender lean mince kebabs make a great starter or a meal when stuffed into pitta pockets with some fresh green salad leaves.
Made from lean mince, these shami kebabs are a classic favourite amongst the young and old.
Not as difficult as people think but definitely worth all the effort!
- 500g lamb mince
- 1 large onion or 2 small onions
- half a cup or 100g chana daal
- 2 tbsp green chillies finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp garlic and ginger paste or equivalent in fresh
- 1 tbsp garam masala powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp coarse black pepper
- 1 cinnamon stick, 4 black cardamon, 1 star anise, 4 cloves (all optional for extra flavour)
- Handful of chopped fresh coriander
- Handful of chopped fresh mint
- 3-4 tbsp oil if choice for shallow frying
- Cook the daal and meat on medium heat meat with onions quartered and salt with whole spices and 1 cup water
- Boil until water evaporates
- Allow mixture to cool down
- Mix the mixture with one beaten egg in a food processor until soft
- Add spices to the mixture and mix well
- Add mint and coriander to the mixture and mix well
- Shape into patties and dip into egg and shallow fry until golden brown
- Serve with suace of choice : raita or ketchup !