This very simple Rosewater Rice Pudding recipe (also known as firni) is a traditional Indian dessert and tastes divine. I often get asked what the difference is between kheer and firni. Kheer is made with whole Basmati rice, whereas firni, a smoother version is made with ground rice.
I have adapted this recipe to make it as healthy as possible without compromising on taste. The rosewater and vanilla give it a slight twist to the original. So easy to make and if left overnight in the fridge, it tastes even better!
- ½ tsp vanilla essence (optional)
- 300ml semi-skimmed milk
- 50g rice flour
- 3 tbsp sweetener eg Splenda, Truvia or 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp rosewater (optional
- 2 unsalted pistachios (optional)
- Pour milk in pan and stir in rice flour, sweetener and vanilla
- On a low heat whisk the mixture for 10 minutes to prevent lumps
- Stir in rosewater
- Crush pistachios
- Place a dollop of mixture on saucers and sprinkle with crushed pistachios
- Refrigerate for an hour